Saturday, January 23, 2010

Our romantic evening. . . .minus the the guest of honor

If anyone knows me, they know on Friday night I am wiped out! But, Chris and I had not had much time together lately and I decided to make him a dinner (with what we had at home). I bought him wine and made pasta (while playing Brian McKnight in the background!). Yes, I was trying to speak his love language (acts of service) and enjoyed the music that reminded me of our dating days.

Then I asked Chloe to help me set the table "pretty" for Daddy. She was so on board! Red placemats, the You are Special plate, candles...and then...."Let's dress up!" (Even I got in heels and and nice dress.)

Meanwhile, Chris was due home any minute! He was working on the brakes and said he would be done in about 45 minutes. So, he got to the place to fix the brakes at 4:30....I will give him an hour....that makes 5:30... and then a 20 minute drive home...I assumed he'd be home before 6:00. I called him to make sure he would call before he walked in the door, but no answer. It was 5:45 and we were running around putting on lipstick and hair spray! Around 6:15 I called and left a message.

Then 6:30, sent another text.... Finally, at 7:00 he called to say he was still there and may be home soon.....we decided to go ahead and start eatting.

7:30 still no guest of honor...


Then the girls were ready for pajamas and we started to clean up. At 8:00 we greeted our tardy mechanic in p.j.s and messy hair. I think he still liked the speghetti and cookies we made, but after walking around in heels for a few hours already tired from the week, all that romance had left the building. I even feel asleep before he got out of the shower!

Moral of the story: make sure who you are surprising has their phone on them (not inside the car where they can't hear it) OR just enjoy the romance with your 6 and 3 year old!

2 comments:

Betty said...

Awwww...that was definitely a sweet idea! The girls looked absolutely divine! You all get an A+ for effort!

jam'n bell said...

what a sweet reminder to your kiddos that romance should never be left on the back burner...even if 1/2 of the 2 shows up late.
what a wonderful idea. thanks for sharing such a memorable moment...and yes, i will take note about the phone.