Monday, January 4, 2010

And his name shall be.....


Koda Carpenter
I feel that I need to claim his name because we still have people trying to give us other names to use instead. It is weird because I never had the response with the girls' names as I have his.
We were looking for a K name because the girls share the C with Chris, so it is only fair that Mommy get to share the K with her son.
Months ago, the whole family was looking at baby names on the internet. When Chris read Koda, I didn't really like it, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I thought it was different, and loved that the site said that Koda is Native American for Black Bear. If you know me well, you know I am only a teensy bit Cherokee, but I've always been proud of it (have I showed you my card?).
It is also cool to me that it means Black Bear because Chris is a hunter. He has never actually hunted a bear, but it is outdoorsie.
But, I never thought Chris would like it, so I stayed quiet. Then I asked him what name out of what we had talked about stood out to him and it was Koda.

We both agreed that Koda Carpenter was an awesome player name, "dribbling down the court is Koda Carpenter" or "tackled by Koda Carpenter". But, I wasn't sure about it being a baby's name. Then when Cami took both hands and held my belly, give it a kiss and then said, "I love you baby Koda." It worked.

Now, many musicians out there are saying, you mean Coda? Defined: "Coda (Italian for "tail", plural code) is a term used in music in a number of different senses, primarily to designate a passage which brings a piece (or one movement thereof) to a conclusion."


If so, he could have his own symbolHe would be like Prince....the baby formerly known as Koda.


But, no, we like Koda. After a Dad of another Coda told a friend of mine the name wasn't Native American for black bear, I did some research to make sure I had the right info on the name and here is what I found:


Koda -boy -black bear

Origin and Meaning of the Name Koda
Gender:Boy
Origin:
Native American
Meaning:The allies
Origin:
American English
Pronunciation: (co duh)
Form of:
Dakota
I thought this defination was cool:
Koda -Last Born, Mother's Pet -African

The name Ta-Koda means "Friend to All" or "Friend to everyone" in several different Native American languages, including the Sioux, Dakota and Inuit Indian tribes.


Koda (pronounced koh-da) means 'friend' in Dakota Sioux.


So, whether Koda means, black bear, last born, mother's pet, friend, friend to everyone or the allies, they all pretty much work for us!

4 comments:

Betty said...

We cannot wait to meet Koda Carpenter!!! How sweet for him to know the history behind mom and dad carefully picking out his perfect name!!

Shawn said...

Love the "last born" meaning. Very appropriate...right??? And yes, I've seen your card and you are definitely legit!

~H

Tonya Lee said...

I've loved the name since the big reveal at our fav place-Pancho's, wehre all the big moments of our life happen! Can't wait to meet him and jope I get to see him more often than I see his parents lately.......:(

Ashley said...

I like it... I like it A-LOT!
I think it is a perfect name to follow his two sisters!

Did you see the e-mail I sent to your school address?