Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Just a Tease

As we got to the airport Saturday, May 30 at 4:00 a.m., I got out my camera to take that "here we go" shot and what happens...battery pack dead! So, you know how I can't tell a story without pictures, I asked my sweet, sweet friend Betty to send me some of her 2,000 that she took while we were there. So, thanks to Betty, here is just a "tease" story of our trip. More will come.

Here we are in the plane from Miami to Nicaragua. Notice my nice paleish yellow complextion. I had gotten to sleep at 12:30 a.m. due to redecorating Chloe's room for her birthday, packing up goodie boxes for my two girls in Nicaragua (that I didn't get to see), packing my things and getting things ready for my parents when they came to stay with the girls.

We got there Saturday afternoon and I knew the first couple to do kitchen duty got off the easiest.....so Chris and I jumped in to work with Petrona. She is so wonderful to me about speaking in Spanish. She is so patient with me and we actually commnicate!


One of the best things about a week in Nicaragua is no phone, no computer, no t.v., so when you aren't working with the team you get to have wonderful quiet times surrounded by God's creation.

We went to Paradise (an oximoron) first. We did skits, sang songs and passed out bread and juice. But, then we went hut to hut sharing Jesus. I have been a Christian for 28 years and it took going to Central America to walk into a stranger's home and ask them if they knew Jesus. (I had an interpreter of course). She was a Christian and active in the church, but that day spoke volumes to me. I have always thought I witnessed by my actions and life, but God showed me it is time to step it up in a bigger way. Here I am doing what I love to do most in Nicaragua......

Lovin on babies

and singing

In a village that we called "Marvin" we actually built a church!

Look at my man go!

On the side lines were friends we had made from Paradise. Sonya (next to me) and 9 others walked 30 minutes to come see us!

It is funny who God puts in your path to connect with. This year Sonya and I communicated and had a special friendship. She is 20 and has 12 siblings. She told me that she didn't have a boyfriend but she had God instead. She is my new prayer request. I pray that God lifts her out of the poverty that she and her family is in and takes her where He wants her..... place to shine for Him.

We did so much in the barrios. We gave juice and bread, bought and gave out 14 beds, built a church, lead worship for children, held bible studies for adults, and went out in small groups to share the gospel. We led people to Christ through interpreters in their little cardboard shacks and even in McDonald's. Yes, I said McDonalds. We get to pick one place to eat out and guess where our group took us?

The land of McFlurry's!

Friday, was our day to see the sights. Here we are at the site of a volcano that 600 years took out the city.

And that was all the sites I saw for a while. I got hit with a migraine that took me home and to bed to sleep it off. Sweet Nurse Shirlee came to my aide while my sweetheart was by my side. After a few hours of rest and medication, I was able to shop at the market (I forced myself) then come home and relax.

We decided to have a talent show of skits that night. I hate that I do not have a picture of the girls skit because it was hilarious. That will come later....but, the guys made us laugh with their music videos. They wrote a song for each girl and sung them with motions!What a week. Even though I am still a bit under the weather, I would not have changed a thing. I hope that this will be a good start....more to come later!

2 comments:

Betty said...

I love you, too...period!
Can't wait to share stories together...God is an awesome God!

Pamela Johnson said...

love it!!!